News Release > Entergy Releases 2011 Sustainability Report
Entergy Releases 2011 Sustainability Report
Expanded report provides holistic, companywide snapshot of sustainability efforts
"As Entergy moves into the second decade of our sustainability journey, we're encouraged by the progress we've made and excited by the opportunities we see," said J. Wayne Leonard, chairman and chief executive officer of Entergy. "This report is just one way of fulfilling our commitment to accountability for our actions through transparency in everything we do. We strive to live our company values, seeking input of all stakeholders to ensure our efforts stay in synch with needs."
For its 11th annual sustainability report, Entergy significantly expanded its approach by using the Global Reporting Initiative for its reporting framework. The report can be viewed at entergy.com/sustainability.
Milestones detailed in Entergy's 2011 sustainability report include:
- Environment 2020 – A 10-year environmental strategy outlines further steps for leveraging past successes and accelerating Entergy's ambitious environmental performance.
- Safety – Lost work day incident rate and recordable accident index for Entergy employees and contractors improved in 2011. RAI for Entergy employees was the lowest in company history.
- Social Responsibility – Entergy customers, employees and shareholders raised approximately $3 million in bill payment assistance funds for those struggling to pay their power bills. Total 2011 contributions increased 19 percent over 2010.
- Economic Development – Since 2008, Entergy's focus on economic development in partnership with state and local officials led to $10.5 billion of capital investment made by investors, business owners and corporations in 578 projects announced in the Entergy utility service area that resulted in almost 33,000 jobs.
- Customer Engagement – Entergy launched a customer-focused culture change effort to save customers money and keep them better informed of service delivery issues such as power restoration and new account activation.
- Diversity – Entergy celebrated the 25-year anniversary as the first electric utility holding company to sign a Declaration of Fair Share Principles with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
Entergy Corporation is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including more than 10,000 megawatts of nuclear power, making it one of the nation's leading nuclear generators. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.8 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of more than $11 billion and approximately 15,000 employees.
Entergy's online address is www.entergy.com.