News Center > Save Energy, Don’t Scorch Your Wallet
Save Energy, Don’t Scorch Your Wallet
Summertime brings sunshine and sweltering temperatures, but it doesn’t have to send your energy bill soaring. As the heat and humidity sets in this summer, treat your home to a little energy-efficiency tender, loving care.
These affordable, simple tips are easy to implement, great for sharing with family and friends, and can help you feel comfortable in your home without scorching your wallet.
- Set your thermostat at 78 degrees or the highest comfortable temperature. Every degree lower than 78 can raise your bill as much as 3 percent. If you crank down the A/C to a cooler 72 degrees, you’ve already increased your bill by 18 percent.
- Buy a programmable thermostat. As energy use rises, costs also rise.
- Use fans to cool off, but remember – fans cool people, not rooms. Ceiling fans, box fans and oscillating fans use very little electricity to circulate the air, which helps you feel several degrees cooler. To save more energy, be sure to turn them off when you leave the room.
- Close blinds, shades and curtains to keep the sun out and the cool air in. Also, close air conditioning vents in rooms that are not in use.
- Seal cracks and holes around doors, windows and ductwork. Weather stripping and caulk will help keep the cold air in and the hot air out.
- Make sure air coming into your home is clean and healthy. Air filters on some air conditioning units require monthly cleaning or replacement. You can also get your A/C inspected to make sure your system is leak-free and operating as efficiently as possible.
- Check out Entergy Solutions programs available in Texas that can help make your home energy efficient at little or no-cost to you.
- Access entergy.com/savemoney for energy-saving tips and calculators that will help you determine the best cost-cutting scenarios to suit your needs.
Practicing these tips can help you save energy and money, which is especially important for customers who are struggling to pay their energy bills due to COVID-19. We have developed several resources to help customers experiencing financial hardship as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.
Residential customers can find information about bill-payment assistance programs, including our shareholder-funded The Power to Care program and the federal Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, as well as the COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund, and links to local state and federal assistance resources on our customer resource site.
You can also visit our COVID-19 Information site to learn more about the steps Entergy is taking to support and protect customers.
Entergy Texas, Inc. provides electricity to approximately 461,000 customers in 27 counties. Entergy Corporation is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including nearly 8,000 megawatts of nuclear power. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.9 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of approximately $11 billion and more than 13,000 employees.