News Center > Start the New Year with Safety in Mind
Start the New Year with Safety in Mind
THE WOODLANDS, Texas – As holiday lights are being replaced with firework displays, remember to celebrate the new year safely.
The easiest and safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted by trained professionals. However, if you decide to put on your own show, follow these safety tips:
- Before setting off fireworks, make sure you are in a wide open area, staying clear of utility lines and trees.
- Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire.
- Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that do not fully ignite.
- Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Remember - Sparklers burn at temperatures up to 2,000 degrees – hot enough to cause a third degree burn.
- Bring your pets inside. Loud noises and bright lights are frightening, which can cause them to run away.
- Use television or radio sounds to mute the loud noises. This will help pets stay calm and comforted.
For more safety tips, visit the website of the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Entergy Texas, Inc. provides electricity to approximately 458,000 customers in 27 counties. Entergy Corporation is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including nearly 9,000 megawatts of nuclear power. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.9 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of approximately $10.8 billion and nearly 13,000 employees.